FedEx Corporation (US)
Address Line 1:
67200 Executive Drive
Type of need for Driver Apprentice Positions:
Through education and driving skills development, become proficient in the operation of a tractor trailer combination. Responsibilities include non-driving duties such as forklift operation and working the dock.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITES:
1. Perform freight handling using appropriate motorized and manual equipment, including but not limited to: forklift, pallet jack and hand truck
2. Perform pre-trip and safety inspections on equipment
3. Hook/unhook trailers and converter dollies to/from a tractor and/or trailer
4. Verify documentation matches freight description (e.g. type, weight, hazardous materials), using current electronic or manual system
5. Secure freight inside trailers using appropriate tools and supplies (e.g. pallets, straps, rope)
6. Recoup/repair damaged freight when necessary
7. Verify and complete required documentation and reports
8. Assist customers with freight and freight documentation as needed
9. Comply with all applicable laws/regulations, as well as company policies/procedures
10. Perform other duties as required
This job description is general in nature and is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
• Must possess a class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or a CDL permit prior to entering job classification
• Must possess acceptable Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) based on hiring standards
• Must meet all Department of Transportation (DOT) regulatory requirements under section 391 of the Federal Motor Carrier (FMC) regulations
• Ability to count and perform basic math, with or without a calculator
• Basic written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to lift/carry hand freight of varying weights several times a week, to lift dock plates weighing approximately 100 pounds, and to open trailer doors requiring approximately 75 pounds of lift force, up to several times per day or more
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time, bend, twist, squat, climb in and out of truck
• Ability to follow instructions and complete required training
• Ability to work independently and/or as a team member
• Exposure to noise and vibration
• Exposure to dust and diesel fumes
• Exposure to hazardous materials shipped and packaged under DOT regulations
• Hours may vary due to operational need
FedEx Freight Inc.
FedEx Corporation provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $43 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities.