Wheaton College Massachusetts
Wheaton is a private coeducational liberal arts college within easy commuting distance of Boston and Providence. We have nearly 1,700 undergraduates from 40 U.S. States and more than 70 countries. Nearly 23% of our undergraduates are U.S. students of color and 11% are international citizens. Wheaton College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, or disability. In a continuing effort to maintain and enrich an intellectually diverse learning environment, the Department and the College actively encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented groups.
Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Director of Advancement Communications leads communications with and for the College’s alumni, donor, and parent audiences, and develops strategies and tools to help the College enhance engagement, fundraising and stewardship of those constituents. The Director works strategically with colleagues in Advancement to help develop messaging, storytelling, and multi-channel communication strategies that will help increase fundraising and engagement goals.
Responsibilities of the Director of Advancement Communications include, but are not limited to, the following:
• In partnership with colleagues in Advancement and Marketing & Communications, develop a comprehensive plan for Advancement communications that will help yield engagement and fundraising goals now and help drive future increases.
• Help craft appropriate messaging that can be used across all Advancement units and in various print and digital communication channels.
• Serve as the chief liaison between Advancement and Marketing & Communications to share information, coordinate strategy and messaging, and ensure communications are in line with the College’s brand and style guidelines.
• Serve as the lead writer and/or editor for a range of Advancement collateral including but not limited to: case statements, annual reports, newsletters, high-level donor communications, and campaign materials.
• Develop and ensure implementation of strategies for the social media accounts run by Advancement.
• Execute leadership for the Advancement website and partner with business units to ensure it continues to meet their various engagement and fundraising objectives.
• Provide general customer support internally and externally, as well as offer ongoing training to internal users.
• As a member of the Advancement Leadership Team, participate in the overall strategic direction and execution of division-wide goals.
• Responsible for the hiring, management, and evaluation of the Advancement Communications Coordinator.
• Bachelor’s degree and 7-10 years of related work experience in communications, online marketing, advertising, and/or public relations required, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum of 5 years of online marketing or social media experience.
• Ability to lead others and work as a team to achieve commons goals.
• Must be a strategic thinker who has the ability to understand how to craft messages that will inspire donor and volunteer engagement across diverse audiences.
• Ability to create and sustain collaborative working relationships with others.
• Expertise in writing and editing that has helped yield increased engagement and fundraising.
• Demonstrated ability to create and update websites using a content management system.
• Experience analyzing metrics from website and social media platforms.
• Exceptional written communication skills. Please note that a writing sample is required as part of the application.
• Master’s degree.
• Experience with institutions similar to Wheaton College.
• Experience with WordPress CMS and Bronto Email Client.
• Ability to edit photos and videos for use in multi-channel communications.
• Experience supervising staff.
• Demonstrated ability to assess social media activities and performance, identify strategic opportunities and develop effective programs to advance departmental and institutional objectives.
• Advanced knowledge and experience with social media platforms and their respective participants such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and LinkedIn.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Apps.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Strong project management and organizational skills.
• Ability to work under pressure and set priorities within a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to demonstrate initiative and creativity by consistently generating new ideas.
• Knowledge and understanding of the College organization, goals and objectives, and policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of photography and use of images and video on social media platforms.
• Ability to create and maintain productive and collegial working relationships with a culturally diverse group of faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
Individuals must possess these knowledges, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
Open Until Filled:
Office of Human Resources
Special Instructions to Candidates:
Ideally located in Norton, Massachusetts, between Boston and Providence, R.I, our residential campus is one of the most beautiful in New England. Prospective students and visitors often say our campus has a very relaxed feel. It's no wonder—we're a friendly community. With a 11:1 student-faculty ratio, students know their professors as teachers, advisors and often as friends. The campus is always buzzing with energy. Throughout the year, fun activities, celebrations and academic events keep people busy and connected. Wheaton offers a personalized academic experience leading to a bachelor of arts degree, with 47 majors and 59 minors. All students take connected courses which encourage interdisciplinary work. Our students have a reputation for academic excellence. Since 2000, Wheaton students have won 201 prestigious scholarship awards, including 3 Rhodes Scholarships. Our approach to education is inclusive and diversified, emphasizing a truly multicultural community. Wheaton's reputation is directly connected to our pioneering history and dedicated leadership. The National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) ranks Wheaton's athletic program among the top 20 percent in the country. The NCAA Division III athletics, intramural and club sports, and recreation programs are a vital contributor to campus life and Wheaton's excellence. Over the past few years, Wheaton has made a commitment to focus on sustainability issues, on and off campus. A new apple orchard will leave a sustainable legacy for many years to come.